November 3 at Grano was a fabulous evening, with Corrado Bottai of Tenuta Le Velette guiding us through the following wines, with delicious food pairings to match:
- Berganorio, Le Velette’s crispy and fresh Orvieto Classico with light canapes
- Sole Uve, the 100% Grechetto white wine food powerhouse (I swear this wine will go with anything!) with a delicious array of meets and fennel
- Accordo, the 100% Sangiovese that rivals any Brunello or Chianti at a fraction of the price with hand-made gnocchi and duck
- Calanco, an ‘Ultimate Umbrian’ (vs Super Tuscan) blend of Sangiovese and Cab Sauv with slow-roasted braised beef
- Il Raggio, like sun in a bottle, this rich and sultry sweet wine is a gentle blend of Muscat, Sauv Blanc and Viognier (fast rising to be one of my favourite white grapes) with some nice cheese and a light cake
The guest list was long, including esteemed friends from Toronto, family, Corrado and his son Guilio (who was mistaken for a young Italian film star), Zoltan Szabo, Tony Aspler, the Mayor of Assisi, a film production crew and a really nice array of wine enthusiasts and food lovers!
The highlight of my evening? When Tony Aspler described the 2005 Calanco as ‘that’s a beautiful wine …’.
Here are a few snaps – please savour them and sign up for our next Wine Maker’s Dinner. We aim to please!!
Two of the real stars of the evening …